Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pesto Cheesy Chicken Rolls


Isn't it beautiful?

In my adventure to learn to cook more proteins, I found this chicken recipe from Allrecipes.com. Fool-proof method on Allrecipes? Go for the one with hundreds of reviews still in the 4 1/2 stars and up range and read the comments from other cooks.

Anyways, Anh 2 Mike & I were skeptical to if chicken would look good sent straight to the oven so I pan-seared it on medium-high until brown then put it in the oven.

OMG! This has to be the best chicken I cooked to date. Usually when I cook chicken (unless it's in a casserole), I hate it. It's dry, over cooked and just unappealing. Today's chicken was so good, I'm so proud of myself. Who knew! I definitely recommend this recipe and in the future want to try it with artichoke heart and Parmigiana Reggiano.

Here is the recipe with my modifications (Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com):

Ingredients
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
  • 1 cup prepared basil pesto
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Approximately 4 sundried tomatoes per chicken, julienne
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Put about 1-2 tablespoon of oil in an oven-safe pan (we used our cast iron skillet) and heat up on medium high.
  3. Salt and pepper the chicken.
  4. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the pesto sauce onto each flattened chicken breast.
  5. Spread shredded cheese over the pesto. Roll up tightly, and secure with toothpicks.
  6. Place the chicken in the hot pan seam side down. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes a side or until golden brown. Put the oven-safe pan into the oven
  7. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until chicken is nicely browned and juices run clear (I checked to see when the internal temperature was 180 degrees).

No comments:

Post a Comment