Friday, February 10, 2012

Soft M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies

I wanted to try this Award Winning chocolate chip cookie recipe I found on allrecipes.com but I really feel uneasy about a recipe that calls for instant pudding mix. When it comes to cookies, I like to use whatever I have and I don't know about you, but I never have instant pudding mix on hand. Plus, since having the kids, I'm trying to move away from using cake mixes after I found out they have hydrogenated oils in them and trying start cooking from scratch (When I do use cake mixes though, Trader Joe's has one with no trans fat and is delicious...I used it for the pistachio cupcakes I made for Bao's birthday).

Anyways these cookies were fun to make since the kids helped me. I didn't have to refrigerate the dough and it still came out super puffy and a little cakey. I'm guessing from the baking powder. I'm not one for cakey cookies but the kids like it and I cut the sugar a little bit because of the addition of M&Ms. Since Valentine's day is coming up, we went with a cute Valentine's edition of M&Ms that only had red, white and pink M&Ms in the bag. Unfortunately, a lot of these ended up in the kids mouth right before bedtime. I hope these as much as they do! Enjoy!

Soft M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 2 sticks softened butter
  • 3/4 Cup sugar
  • 1 Cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 extra large eggs
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons pure vanilla
  • 3 3/4 Cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 12 oz bag chocolate chips
  • 1 bag M&M’s (you’ll have some left over) & various sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer beat the butter and sugars until well beaten. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Place flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl; mix.

Slowly add to wet ingredients until combined. Hand mix in chocolate chips. Do not mix in M&M’s or sprinkles in with the batter – they go on last.

Drop down by the teaspoon onto a parchment lined cookie pan, than press M&M’s or sprinkles onto the top of each cookie and bake.

Bake for 9-12 minutes, until edges are golden but the middle may be soft still.

Cool in pan for about 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment