Makes 20-24 cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- shredded coconut, to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put cake mix, coconut milk, water and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Mix well and fill cupcake pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool cupcakes.
- In a sauce pan heat coconut milk (do not boil).
- Mix sugar, salt, and cornstarch with water; stir into hot coconut milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens (cook over low heat to avoid curdling). Stir in vanilla and cool.
- Soften gelatin in 1/3 cup coconut milk; dissolve over hot water.
- Whip cream; fold in gelatin mixture and sugar.
- Use cone method to create cavity for filling in cakes.
- Fill cavity with about a tablespoon of filling.
- Put cake cap back on.
- Chill for 30 minutes to set filling.
- Top with generous dollop of whipped cream frosting.
- Top with shredded coconut.