Saturday, March 6, 2010

Banh Chuoi Nuong

(Vietnamese Baked Banana Bread/Pudding)

Growing up Mom always made this with left over bread and overly ripe bananas. I love it. I remember eating it for breakfast the big morning of the Whittier earthquake and how everybody was upset the food tank almost fell on mom but I was upset I lost my banh chuoi during the quake. LOL. (Selfish, fat kid...)

I have a lot of ripe bananas and we bought a bag of day-old bread at Lee's Sandwich for 50 cents. I called Mom and she told me how to do it over the phone. So of course, there are no measurements.

Ingredients:
  • Day old French bread
  • Milk
  • Sugar
  • Bananas, sliced length wise
  • Butter
Directions:
  1. Break the bread into small pieces (1/2 inch cubes or pieces)
  2. Mix milk and very little sugar (since bananas are sweet) into the bread in a large bowl. Bread should be soaked with milk mixture.
  3. Butter a pan and put a layer of the bread mixture in.
  4. Layer bananas next. Sprinkle with sugar to caramelize.
  5. Put a thin layer of bread on top of the banana later.
  6. Lastly, pour melted butter over the top. Sprinkle with a little more sugar.
  7. Bake at 350 degree for an hour.
Notes:
  • Don't use too much milk and the cooking time should decrease. Just enough to soften the bread.
  • Use salted butter

1 comment:

  1. i love that you posted this... and i too remember losing it during the earthquake... LOL

    ReplyDelete